Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Existential Quandary CXVIII

Yes indeed.... we find ourselves back here again. Wondering what the hell the point of anything is. Here's what we know so far:

Work:
Simply put, as of late work has become simply laughable. Luckily, I'm detached enough from the situation that 40.00 hours under one chain of command is largely the same as another. I regret only that not everyone in the situation has that luxury.

Family:
I'm not sure what caused it but my wife and I are, to be utterly honest, as happy as I can imagine being. For some unknown reason over the past six months we have appreciated each other like never before. The little ones in the house are giddy as never before. I'm not sure what I could improve on though perhaps if Isabella would learn to put her books back on the shelf.

Other:
The other bits of me are pretty much as usual. I have a wealth of intellectual and physical energy and nowhere to put it. I've tried to insinuate myself into a project or two without success and I'm certainly not going to waste more than 40.00 hours a week on work so that leaves me at a loose end. I've had a few random, crappy ideas for tying up some of these loose ends though.

As usual I think I need to put all this reading to some purpose. As I was perusing Wikipedia I realized that a decent percentage of the books I've read lately don't even HAVE Wikipedia entries. Looking at the larger web nobody has bothered to do much of anything with them and if I bothered then that would be a marginally useful and unique contribution to the web at large. It would also give me an excuse to look up all manner of obscure random tidbits and put them down in text. My only question in that vein would be whether to bother doing this in Wikipedia or starting a website of my own. Wikipedia's formatting overhead seems to be nontrivial.

I have pretty completely decided that Geocaching is stupid and that it's high time I got back to woodworking. My "Honey Do" list is a mile long and filled with unique and interesting challenges. The fact is that I've ignored it in favor of chasing after waterproof containers for much too long. Still valid as a bit of exercise but not really a proper and productive hobby.

Lastly, there's always that thing that hangs over my head like a 16-ton weight. I still feel this silly need to learn another language. For what purpose? None at all of course. Same as any of these other projects.

Clearly, I think this all boils down to just having too much time on my hands. Yet another example of the wasted leisure of the American middle class. This would be so much easier if I just watched more TV. I wonder if Burns and Allen is still on...

No comments: