Saturday, December 22, 2007

Time Off Sucks

Alright, it's pretty clear that this is going to be a long five days. I'm 4 hours into a 5-day vacation and I'm already hopelessly bored. I'm not sure I can blow another 100 hours watching television.

What sucks is that this is a side effect of actually enjoying work for a change. Back in the days when I was ready to quit, weekends were a joy. I couldn't get out of the place fast enough. The past week though has been really enjoyable; I've managed to keep myself busy, I've had a lot of entertainment from friends in the office and there's an air of hope in the place. My mind is constantly abuzz with excitement of a personal and professional nature.

Now when I think of five days stuck at home it just pales by comparison. Luckily, I suppose, my wife has expressed the same sentiment so we can at least commiserate on that point. That unlucky woman has two weeks of this rot to look forward to; I hate to think how she's going to feel over the summer when she's kicking around here for three months.

Pushing outward, I wonder if others feel this letdown. Yes, I know the holidays are supposed to be a time of joy to reconnect with family and all that but I think that in today's society co-workers really are an extension of family. In fact, I'll readily admit that I know the people at work a HELL of a lot better than I know my in-laws and furthermore they're a hell of a lot more interesting. Perhaps I'm the exception because I'm so thoroughly detached from my natural kin but I'm not getting the warm Christmas glow here so much as holding my breath waiting for it all to be over so I can get back to my life. Christmas seems not so much a celebration as it is a practical exam in personal tolerance as we remind ourselves why we don't hang out with certain relatives more often. Add to that the accounting required to make sure that each person has EXACTLY the same amount spent on their thoughtless and unnecessary gift and I'd say you have Christmas in a very tidy and cynical nutshell. Ho Ho *adding machine prints* Ho.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Yeah, families ain't what they used to be. If they ever were...

Offices really are the villages of this century. And the last.

Trebor Nevals said...

Well and don't get me wrong; families are great and all but one can't live by one's relatives alone. At some point you have to get outside input or you will truly go mad.