Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Random Thoughts for 12/26/07

On the 22nd it seemed like I was going to be off forever. Now that it's over it seemed to pass in a flash. That said, I'm looking forward to having something to do tomorrow since I did absolutely NOTHING over the past five days. I'm going in to the office tomorrow for an entire day so it'll be neat to see if I tolerate it well or go utterly insane. Since I expect only about 5% of the staff to be in it'll be even more sepulchral than usual. Really must take some noise and some headphones.

I had a protracted online conversation last night and at one point the statement that "it's easy to give advice" floated across my IM and it seemed contextually appropriate given a couple of the posts here in the past week. My response, of course, was to agree completely. Yes, it's damn easy to spout general advice to the absent masses. But I guess sometimes you just have to say things out loud; these posts delineate my philosophy on all manner of big, important topics and that philosophy seems to work for me. Your mileage may vary but I have a hard time believing that at least half of my burblings aren't generally applicable. No warranty is expressed or implied though.

Today is the day after Christmas and about 2pm I realized why this is my FAVORITE day of the year. Yes indeedy, it's the day the Christmas tree comes down. I'm a creature of habit and having this big obnoxious decoration in the living room for a month is surprisingly annoying. So let us officially celebrate that the family living space is plastic tree free!

Lastly, I failed to mention that the in-laws give cash gifts for Christmas and for the first time in... well, ever, I had no clue what the heck to do with it. I've apparently come to the point where there's nothing left in the universe that I want. I can't even justify buying items from my Amazon.com wishlist anymore as I'm so behind on my reading. After scrubbing my mind there just isn't anything else. For about an hour I was planning to give it to kiva.org until my wife forbade it under the "that's obviously a scam" theory. Perhaps it is but it appeals to me on some odd level to loan a furniture maker from Paraguay $150 to expand his business. In the end I sent the wife to the spa with it but I still wonder about those third-world people trying to better their lives. Perhaps one of my readers has a suggestion for a good charity that would accept an occasional contribution?

1 comment:

Charlie said...

I've been kicking around the idea of doing kiva.org myself, but check this out: http://www.charitynavigator.org/

After checking out several charities there, I'm pretty "up" on Gleaners Food Bank, for the low overhead, 4.6%, and low CEO salary... (and I'm just as "down" on Wheeler Mission for the really high overhead, 30.8%)

But checking out several charities of various kinds led me to think about what it is I care about, along these lines, and how much... I came up with a list that I need to stick numbers on and turn into a pie chart I think...