Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas 2007

This year Christmas in our household started at 6:30 in the morning, a full half an hour earlier than last year. By 7:15 the festivities were as good as over and by 8:30 our youngest was officially 'over it' and having us read the same books as usual. Our eldest has made it to 9:30 at least without reaching the point of complete apathy. For my own information next year I'll record the material transactions of the day.

Our youngest, in addition to the usual holiday miscellany got a few items to feed her obsession with Mickey Mouse. Specifically a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse playset and Mickey and Minnie plush toys. The eldest asked for items related to dragons so she got a few books on the topic and a pair of plastic models and lastly a low-end MP3 player. I officially congratulate my wife on keeping the holiday relatively sane this year (at least as far as the kids go).

The wife got what she all but ordered for herself. I think the total count was one skirt, one wrap, four shirts, one pair of shoes she REALLY liked and one pair of shoes (that I picked out without her knowledge) that she really hates. On the whole, the satisfaction level is still pretty high. For my part I came away with a lapdesk and two pairs of jeans (my wife says she chose "a wash that a a young person might wear" but for my part they're just blue and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all these pants [who needs 4 pairs of pants?]). Our eldest picked out a Hallmark Snoopy ornament on behalf of the youngest and my wife ended by raiding a few items from my ever-present Amazon.com wish list.

At any rate, I'd say Christmas wasn't totally over the top but still more than I'd bother with if were up to me. We have yet to visit the in-laws so no doubt we'll still manage to end up with much more crap than we actually need.

No comments: