Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year - 2008

Well, as I sit here watching television while the new year rings in just like the previous 20 years, I regret in a way that I've never built any tradition around this day. The wife's in bed, I sit here alone and the rest of the world celebrates. As long as we have an entire year on our hands lets celebrate in our own quiet way and review the year.

In the one-room schoolhouse of my mind 2007 was a year of epiphany. After years of describing myself as a misanthrope I realized that not only do I actually LIKE people but I also NEED them. I learned a few of the rules of dealing with them and made a real and concerted effort to cultivate friendships. The jury remains out on the results but the first step to solving any problem is recognizing it so I've taken a step in the right direction. More importantly and complimentary to that I've realized that there really is no higher purpose than pure and simple enjoyment of life (for both yourself and others). Most surprisingly I've admitted that under an obnoxiously thick crust I am a wild (and hopefully fun) person to be around. I've come a long way from curmudgeon.

This was also the year when many of my projects reached record productivity. The most significant household project was undoubtedly our slate tile floors. The blog reached a record 107 posts throughout the year including an exceptionally candid autobiography. While productivity at home was up, productivity at work was way down. I don't recall any time in my working history when I was less motivated; I'm not sure what it says that nobody seemed to notice.

On the literary front I waded through 54 books including the complete works of the Bronte sisters but most of my time was spent in much more modern works. I have to say that fiction has come along way in the past 40 years; almost everything I read from the genre of modern award winners in the past 5 years was absolutely exceptional. (Recommendations available upon request.)

Resolutions for the new year? Simple enough:
  • Have fun and not feel bad about it afterwards.
  • Take every available opportunity to get to know people better, enlarging my sphere of friends and improving the status of the friends I have.
  • Start (and finish) some of those long-neglected household projects.
That should be plenty. It's only a year we're talkin' about.

No comments: