Sunday, January 06, 2008

Habits, Old and New

OK, I saw a promo for this new Fox show, "Moment of Truth" and while I'll guarantee that I'll forget to watch it, one of their promo questions did remind me of something. The question was, "Have you ever touched a co-worker in an inappropriate manner?" Ugh, dammit. Yes, I have, but here's the stupid story.

Year and years ago when I'd known my current wife for a couple years I got into this habit of playfully swatting her on the rear whenever we'd pass by each other. Well one day I was working in the Terry Courts kitchen at Purdue as a waiter and a female waiter I knew somewhat (but not well) was leaning over cleaning something. By now you've probably guessed that something in my brain short-circuited and I playfully swatted her on the rear. I, of course, was three heartbeats from having my head explode with embarrassment and the only thing I could think to say was, "Sorry, wrong rear." Luckily she seemed unabashed and perhaps flattered more than anything.

In the same vein, whenever my wife and I end a phone conversation we generally give it the "bye, love you" at the end and on SEVERAL occasions I've barely stopped myself from saying this to female customers on the phone. This isn't surprising really; you have a lot of contact with a spouse and you build up habits that are hard to break with others of the opposite gender. I'm sure Freud would have something to say about all this but let me assure you my affection for our customers is purely platonic no matter what I may accidentally utter on the phone. The worst danger in this area is people who tend to hug. Aside from my wife, I get hugged about once a year so I'm happy to accept your hug but remember that the previous 499 hugs I gave out came with a little bit more than a hug.

There aren't a lot of stories from my childhood kicking around in my brain but there's one that I can remember word for word. If I have time I'll transcribe it for you: "You took forever to learn to talk but once you did you never shut up." OK, that's it. That was pretty long by the usual standards. The point here may be that at some point I did shut up again. And I think that to a large extent any success I've had at these "job" things has been due to my ability sit down, shut up and work. In fact, I've been told that people avoided me specifically because I "looked like I was doing something important." (It's an easy face to pull off: lips together and slightly puckered, narrow your eyes and eyebrows down as far as they can go. Then stare determinedly at a fixed point. No one has ever been fired while assuming this face.)

Lately though I've gone completely the opposite direction. I can literally blast away an hour and accomplish absolutely nothing except lively banter about the lifestyles of Italian nuns. And I can see why people do this; it's damn amusing. It's probably the most entertaining thing I can think of. That said, we really need a short, polite, unambiguous way of saying, "Listen, I'm really enjoying this conversation but to be honest I have to get back to work because if I don't... well, there's going to be some sort of personal hell for me to pay later. So if we can, let's just pick this up later, OK?" Perhaps a code word of some sort. Not rutabaga, that's already being used to indicate when someone really needs a breath mint. No, I'd suggest watercress. It's short and gentle sounding, "Sorry, man, watercress." Who can get mad at watercress?

Anyway, watercress.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i guess it was a good thing that it wasn't a guys rear that you patted at Purdue. That could have lead in a whole new direction.

Trebor Nevals said...

HEY! Duffy! How's it going!? Er. Wait. This could be a different duff.

Let me respond more appropriately... Um, yes, indeed. No male rear for me thanks. *ahem*

Anonymous said...

things are going well I can not complain to much. I figured i would catch you off guard and respond to a blog. And yes it is Duffy. Tell K, I can remember if your wifes name so I will just stick with K, hello.

I attempted to bother you once before on your myspace, but as said on their you dont check it much. I will talk at you latter dinner time.

Trebor Nevals said...

Well good, I'm glad it's the real duff. I do check out myspace more (http://www.myspace.com/tatteredthread) Give us a ring sometime! Glad things are going well enough that you can't complain TOO much. :)

Anonymous said...

ok, the real Duffy... I'm confused. The real Duffy would NEVER forget my name. Maybe you just didn't want to type it out? If you are the Duffy we think you are, what is your real first name?

Anonymous said...

I will have to contact you via your myspace so we can be a little more less public. I wanted to comment earlier, when i first found you on myspace/your blog but that darn thing life gets in the way and you forget what you where doing online two nights before.

myspace.com/ellas_daddy, this is my myspace page. Ignore all the youth on their i am a youth sponsor at the church i attend not some freaky perv.

And the answer to wife K is yes I didnt want to type out your name because I was not sure if Rob had ever typed out your name, but since you and my mother both have the same name it would make it a little difficult to forget, I may be getting older but not that old yet to forget.

My real name? BATMAN.... SUPERCHIKEN.... nope how about I answer the question with you once asked to photograph body parts of mine to show at school. that should answer your question both with wit and a defining of myself.

I will try to get with you two soon via robs myspace.

duff/J