Thursday, August 04, 2011

Storyboard - Logansport, Indiana - 7/10/2011

A couple of weeks ago now I had the better part of a day to myself, so where better to head than some random Indiana town that was not previously of my acquaintance. In this case, it was Logansport and while it was far from Paris (France or Texas) it was nonetheless a refreshing trip for all its randomness.

The town has done a really good job of keeping itself properly decorated. I found a great little patch of garden in the downtown area. The cone-flowers are fairly typical but I was struck by the bedewed spiderwebs.

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

And this would have been better by yards and yards without the used car lot in the background.

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

Along with the garden there was also a carousel horse that had become disembodied from the herd, as it were. The eyelashes on this particular subject frankly terrified me.

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

I think timing is everything when it comes to capturing the morning dew. (duh)

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

This scene is typical of SO many Indiana towns. Their aging building-fronts offer impossibly anachronistic products. It's hard to know what to think, exactly. They have one foot in the past and one foot in the future without fully committing to either.

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

Like a lot of Indiana towns, Logansport straddles the Wabash and is at the junction of the Eel and the Wabash rivers.

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

I'm still a bit mystified by this one. Is it the bail bonds "shop" or the youth center? Perhaps the youth get in trouble so frequently that there's no need to distinguish between the two? Either way, the signage is in need of some clarification. PS: That bear looks terribly sad. Don't you just feel a NEED to bail him out?

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

Logansport has done a lot with its available shore space. I was never at a loss for features to take photos of...

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

I'm always a sucker for the 'decay' of human-made objects. This trip was no exception.

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

Even after thinking about it for a month, it's not clear to me what exactly this place is. Is it in the process of being built or in the process of being forgotten about? Either way, it's in some limbo state of usefulness. Note the primitive brickwork spelling out "Golden Palace" above the arch.

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

Moving on, it seems as if I've seen this particular grammatical oddity before. Why would the Baptist Church use the English "An House" in their permanently-affixed motto. Clearly something I'm missing here....

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

Yes, for those of you playing at home, Dr. Brewer has indeed set up shop in an old church. I guess this makes sense for those receiving the worst news as they can simply go across the hall to the chapel for any "second opinions".

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

Lots of lawyers in Logansport, though apparently they decided to all share the same office space. Miller Tolbert Muelhausen Muelhausen Groff and Damm stand ready to serve you...

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

The local cemetery in town is utterly uneventful except for this incredibly gaudy display. Gold leaf Jesus.... wow.

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

Alright, so here's where I confess that I had a better picture that I was afraid to take. These gents shown here actually were bow-fishing from the top of the bridge. When I walked past on the way back, they'd managed to catch a 2-foot carp(?) by the use of their skills. Considering the distance to the water from the bridge where they're standing, I considered this fairly impressive but when I broached the topic with them they stated simply that it was "easy" and that my admiration was utterly unnecessary.

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

These two were also interesting to observe. The boy was determined that he too would become a fisherman. His father (or grandfather?) made no promises except that they would NOT be bow-fishing any time soon. The younger's ebullient happiness at being on the bridge was a strange contrast to the worn and uneager attitude of the elder.

From Logansport IN, 7-10-2011

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Ok, lets see if commenting is going to work for me now...

Wow, 'The eye that sees itself' for so long, then a blizzard of posts! I need to catch up.

Quite the photo blog you have here!

So you seem to be implying that that did not have 'Balloons by Golly Etc.' and 'Pulse Music' in the 'olden days'...

That's really cool picture of that thing. That thing that I don't know what is, because I was going to ask you what it is. And I can't post my question on the photo without joining Google+, and I can't join at all right now... What happened to Google's corp. value to 'not be evil'?

'An House' sounds like it *must* be more grammatically correct, even though it isn't...

Impressed by bow fishing eh? City slicker... (I'd never heard of it either)

Trebor Nevals said...

Yeah, a blizzard is a good word. Something which in small quantities is pleasant but given enough volume becomes an absolute pain. :)

Anyway, I thought the "s etc" fad was pretty recent. At any rate not in the 1900s. Perhaps down at the "general general store etc"

Which "the thing" are you referring to? There's an archway that's photographed from the bottom of one side that's fairly opaque in content. The one after the comment about how Logansport has done a lot with their shore space?

As for google.... yeah, I dunno. I'm starting to be a tad disappoinetd in just about everyone. Google can't seem to get its act together with integrating its various services. Picasa, for example, is fairly cheapish at $20 for 80G but as far as featureset it sucks and it seems to have a heck of a time talking to blogger. There's so much value they could add to their overall offering but they don't even seem to be trying. Oh well.

"An House" makes me want to start dropping all my Hs. And yeah, I'm not quite ready to buy a bow and hunt up my dinner but it was still interesting.

BTW, I thought of you when I read this "Way Station" book. You read it? We should have lunch and I can give you my copy. Pass along the love. The Eric Idle book might also appeal.