Monday, July 09, 2007

7/9/2007

After months of neglect, it occurs to me that it may be beneficial to just randomly write some crap. Though I'll admit that it may be meaningless to any reader but the writer himself that matters little.

I was reminded today of the funniest thing I've ever said. Well, the funniest thing I'm currently aware of having said. Sadly, out of its proper context it's not really funny at all. "That elephant is stealing those cigarettes!" See. Completely not funny.

Today my brother-in-law after long neglecting his health has been admitted to the hospital. It remains to be seen where this long story will lead.

I'm currently on a plod-and-enjoy reading schedule. My plod is "The Education of Henry Adams". The assumed audience for this little tome knows a hell of a lot more about 19th century history than I do so it makes for a lot of question marks in my mind. At 10 pages a day, I can almost stay awake. The enjoy is a re-read of 'Little Women'. I'm trying to defeat the 'A's on my list so Alcott has come up again since it's been 6 years since I read this last. I have to say this is a devilishly enjoyable book despite the fact that I'm the wrong gender to fully appreciate it. Or, perhaps it's enjoyable simply as a counterpoint to the other things I've been reading lately. At any rate, I think I'll have to work the phrase "She's a real Mrs. March" into my speech patterns. Not, of course, that anybody will know what the hell I mean.

In the interest of expanding my horizons a bit I've subscribed to a few Magazines. For a weekly I subscribed to 'The New Yorker'. It's content seems promising and the amazon.com review that said, "If you want to be a snob, this magazine is a must-have" made this a sure thing. If anyone's a snob it's me. For a monthly I went with 'Harpers' and for a Quarterly 'The Strand'. On a similar streak I picked up a copy of 'The American Scholar' at Borders for investigative purposes. I'll admit that it covers a crazily eclectic range of topics but in at least a couple articles it makes my Bullshit Meter buzz crazily. Sadly it's hard to know how seriously to take these people.

Oh, before I forget to mention it at all, we forgave the Mike's Car Wash people. Long story short, my wife went through the car wash and heard a horrendous POP. Turns out, the blowers had dented the roof of the car. After much hassle Mike's agreed to pay for the repairs but when we got the estimates it amounted to over $1000 to replace the roof and windshield for a barely discernible dent. That seemed an extravagant amount to fix a barely discernible dent so we told Mike's to forget the whole thing and instead just give us a written guarantee that they'd follow through with their original offer to pay the $1000 if we went through again and something really awful happened. Needless to say, they were shocked into bewilderment but agreed to pay nothing and provide the paperwork. Anyway, one hopes that turns our karma wheel in a favorable direction.

Finally, with any luck the slate in the entryway should be done. I'll take a picture tomorrow for fun. Also need to take my garden photos for July.

2 comments:

Randy said...

If it's a very small dent, I've heard that repeatedly holding dry ice on it may pop it back out. You probably wouldn't need to buy $1000 worth of dry ice.

We've picked our first garden crop: three lovely jalapeƱo peppers. The tomatoes are coming along splendidly. I only hope we are able to keep the racoons out of them.

Trebor Nevals said...

Well, it's really more of a 'wrinkle across the whole roof of the car' but a very subtle one. Personally, I don't think you'd notice unless it was pointed out to you. I've stopped worrying about it entirely.

Well good... three peppers and nobody had to get electrocuted.