Tuesday, July 10, 2007

7/10/07

Today, like most days was miraculously uneventful. Well, not exactly miraculously perhaps.

I discovered today to my surprise that one of my work colleagues has horticultural aspirations. Since this falls in line with my current urge to propagate things from my garden I told him I would provide the odd infant sprout or two.

In place of my lunch I put in the second $10 tree in the back yard only to have my wife refer to them as hopelessly small. Clearly she's not overly endowed with patience. For $10 I'll happily accept quite a bit of 'twigginess' in my trees thank you very much.

The entry tile finally approaches completion. It has been sealed and partially trimmed and, in my opinion at least, looks quite tidy. The wife says simply that it looks 'fake'. My offers to rip it all up and start over are still being rejected.

My real job has become even more ponderous than usual. I find my mind wandering throughout ever-growing days punctuated only by heavy sighs like the smoke that rises from a slowly burning human soul. I can't help but get the impression that my boss is himself steaming under the usually calm facade and is ready to boil over any minute. I'll brace myself for an explosion in my direction.

On a more positive note, Little Women continues to be a joy. I'm thinking of publishing a family newspaper as the March's do but I'm uncertain the wife would participate.

Further on the topic of wives, I seem to be getting along with mine astonishingly well lately. I can't say why exactly but it seems indisputably to be the truth. I can imagine several factors that might contribute to this. Is she comparing me to her New York friend's husband in some favorable way? Is she finally just adjusting to being home for the summer? Perhaps her high school friends stories about her deadbeat ex-husband are finding their mark? Or is it is just that she's happy to be seeing her plans for the house come together? Hard to say but I've surely analyzed it enough now that any excessive connubial joy has been completely jinxed into oblivion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The horticultural aspirations were actually birthed as a unforseen side-effect of another project, as most of my interests tend to be. Having received the (approx) 50 square feet of (weed-choked) gardening space (as an unspoken apology for the astronomical rent?), I set to clearing, cleaning, and beautifying the patio. Turns out I rather enjoy landscaping projects. Now that the (IMHO) well-landscaped area has been sitting there growing the occasional blade of grass, I figure I should probably get around to doing something ELSE with it.

Be forewarned, my thumb is... well, whatever the EXACT opposite of green is.

-pete

Trebor Nevals said...

Sweet. Almost makes me wish I had an apartment to cav'hort' in. Wait, I guess I have a house.

And nobody has a black thumb. Plants desperately WANT to grow. It's the picking that's the tricky part not the growing. *sagely nod*