Saturday, July 14, 2007

7/14/07b - Death by Cart; Death by Grill; Advice to Wives

Well, today was certainly an adventure. I'm still a bit giddy about it for some reason.

I went to Menards to purchase my 100 paving stones for landscaping bricks but found they only had 48. Looking about for a flat-bed conveyance I found none so with a sigh I resorted to a normal cart. Apparently my sense of proper load-balancing was in error as I got the loaded cart all of about 10 feet before the overburdened packmule dove forward, twirled 180 degrees and several feet down the aisle despite my efforts to control it spilled its hundreds of pounds of bricks all over the ground. I'm lucky to have not been injured in some way. I'm luckier still that someone else wasn't in the way to get injured themselves. Three more minutes of manly, affected aplomb and my better-balanced cart was on its way safely to the checkout.

Later, my wife's friends came over to share inane chatter and pick up a free Webber grill my in-laws are throwing away. I, of course, escaped to the in-laws during their visit where the smalltalk is of a much higher grade and on my way back brought the subject grill. The husband of the visiting couple espied me and so came out to help load the grill into his own car but about 5 minutes into the process the somewhat poorly cared for cooking device began a most comical disintegration as we attempted to lift it into the car. Clearly, you had to be there and more clearly, you get what you pay for.

On a less harried note, the bathroom tile stands a hairs breadth from utter completion, the $11 tree planned yesterday was installed and the remaining trees were staked to augment their suffering horizontality. Overall, quite a productive 24-hour period.

Penultimately, I offer a few random words I've come across today in my traipse through literature. For whatever reason, these little amalgamations of syllables didn't make any sense in their current context so I was forced to resort to a dictionary.

Oddly appropriate for me today we have the word pilgarlic from the m-w.com word of the day. Originating because of this item's similarity to a peeled clove of garlic a pilgarlic denotes a bald head or a man who has one.

Our delightful Little Women encountered some piquant French girls in today's reading. These damsels aren't hot to the taste as we usually use the term nowadays but instead unusually charming or provocative.

As you might guess, a marplot is one who meddles in the affairs of others and thus spoils their plans.

And lastly, a word that I will suggest to my wife when she goes back to school, obstreperous. Meaning one who engages in unruly noisiness this will go well with her annual introduction of the word logorrhea.

Finally, on a post that is already much to long I leave you with Alcott's advice to wives everywhere. While I'm sure that modern critics find this rather sexist I must admit from personal experience that this is achingly realistic. Anyway, those interested can read Little Women Chapter 38 for yourselves and judge...

No comments: