Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Need to be Different

For the longest time I've noticed in myself a need to row against the main stream of people around me. I'm not honestly sure where it originates or what causes it but if I ever ventured to the psychologist I'm sure it would be a hot topic of conversation. (I would go to seek psychological help of some sort but it's so popular now that I really cant in good conscience.)

There are several books that I refuse to read solely on the basis that they are popular or best sellers. With few exceptions, I tend to avoid certain music for the same reason. I wonder sometimes how many other people do this same sort of thing and if I've unwittingly joined the main stream of people avoiding the main stream... if that's possible.

In many ways it seems to go deeper than mere preferences for entertainment though. Whenever the household is in its greatest uproar and the dogs of chaos are barking at the door it's the acme of amusement for me to calmly pace about the house and discourse about what should be done next put things aright again. Conversely, when everything is going most swimmingly at work it is then that I tend to fall into a nadir or annoyance and self-loathing. Something compels me to exist at the other end of the emotional spectrum from those around me.

Perhaps it's just more amusing to roam the antipodes of attitude. Perhaps it's yet another example of my arch enemy 'self-centered attention seeking.' *sigh* I wonder what the diametrically opposed emotional state is to Conrad's "Typhoon"... perhaps it's "go to bed early."

Currently Reading: “Typhoon and other Tales”, Joseph Conrad [52/220]

Periodic Robism: Go with the flow and be swept out to sea.

No comments: