Thursday, March 15, 2007

More Latest Readings and the Purpose of Fiction

So here we are again. It’s March 15th and as I sit down at this machine ready to try to babble into it for a while I look at my handy-dandy list of things to write about. Even the most cursory of glances reveals that I’m exactly four books behind in my intent to summarize each book as I read it. Since last we spoke on this topic I’ve finished most of the rest of the 2006 Booker nominees and realize that it’s time to head back to finish up Conrad.

It’s usually after about this many works of fiction (it’s been 15 books and 3 and a half months since the last bit of non-fiction ‘Lost Languages’) that I ask myself that eternal question, “Why in the HELL am I wasting time reading all this made up crap?” I generally sit around for a day or two lamenting the lost 3 months and theorizing that I would SURELY be able to converse in fluent Latin by now if I’d only applied myself over that amount of time. What a horrible, horrible waste!

Then I look back at the list; remember the list? I notice a few things crossed of. Yes, indeed, I wrote the post about the decline of the human species. Yes, I wrote the post about the vague sense of dread I have about the universe. Indeed, I blabbed on about my inextinguishable sense of optimism and joy. (*cough* Yes, it’s my blog, I’m allowed to utterly contradict myself). Then I look at the list again and realize WHY I’m keeping a list at all. I vividly remember that bit in ‘The Master’ in which it describes Henry James’ creative process. The notebooks full of ideas, bits of fluff pulled from the news, family stories, little chunks of life laid out on paper waiting for the right wind to blow to turn them from hastily scrawled notes into literature. That’s why I’m keeping this little tablet of notes. Not because of any bullshit I read about ‘sharpening my saw’ but because I read it in some bit of “useless” fiction.

Then I think back to that last bit of non-fiction. I can dredge of a few little factoids. “The as-yet undeciphered Rongo-Rongo language of Easter Island was written in reverse-boustrophedon.” Boy. Talk about your fu&king useful tidbits of information. I’m sure glad I kept THAT one around. But from fiction, the left-over tidbits are much more meaningful and interesting. If there’s anything that Bronte pounds into one’s head it’s the plight of the 19th century woman, consigned to the sewing table by social convention but capable of so much more than that. Grenville’s “The Secret River” gave me a whole new sense for what it really meant to be transported for life to Australia. Desai’s “The Inheritance of Loss” painted a picture of life in America as an immigrant as so utterly pitiful. I may never eat at a drive-through window with the same viewpoint again. I actually changed the way I treated my own children after reading “Carry Me Down.”

Whaaa… alright, epiphanies aside, I should probably at least make appropriate recommendations on my previous reads. I won’t attempt summaries.

Grenville, Kate: “The Secret River” is an absolute MUST for any history buff especially if you’ve ever wondered what exactly happened to all those people who were ‘Transported for life’ to Australia back in the 19th century.

Desai, Kiran: “The Inheritance of Loss” describes the life of an Indian from many viewpoints, both as the relative left behind to suffer through the turmoil of life in India as well as a the son sent off to strike it ‘rich’ in America. Thoroughly interesting but the language is a bit tough to wade through.

Hyland, M.J.: “Carry Me Down” follows a troubled child through a particularly troubled bit of his life. A good read if you were a troubled child I suppose.

St. Aubyn, Edward: “Mother’s Milk” follows closely on the heels of ‘Carry me Down’ in that it also follows a troubled family. The situation is viewed in round robin first from the viewpoint of the 5-year-old child and then by the adults so one sees all angles, a good psychological novel but not amazing. If you only read only one book this year, pick another.

Current Novel: “Lord Jim”, Joseph Conrad [117/300]

Periodic Robism: There is no ego larger than the ego that quotes itself.

7 comments:

Rich said...

A term at grad school knocked me out of my reading cycle. I love reading history, philosophy, theology, fiction, science, math, but too many books of any one type in a row gets tiresome awful durned quick. So I ended up with 5 reading lists.

One of the points that Kreeft made in his Philosophy of Tolkien was that while philosophy books can bring up some very deep topics for consideration, fiction can flesh out those topics in ways that reach those who would never pick up a philosophy book, and to deeply affect even those who do like to read the occasional head scratcher.

Five reading lists and I've made no progress whatsoever in my French or Greek language skills.

Nirmala Basnayake said...

I've just added you to my "blog roll" (or whatever it is called), if that's alright.

Also, I was just about to type, "hey, we have The Code Book at home, if you'd like to borrow it," then realized that a) we don't actually know each other, nor do we even live in the same country, let alone the same town; and b) it's not like you don't have a public library in your town. I am flighty!

Nirmala Basnayake said...

P.S. Yes, I know that comment doesn't have much to do with this post. But here's another tangent:

I noticed that Peter Ackroyd's London is on your reading list. Do you plan on buying the book or borrowing it (from library or friend)? I recommend buying it so you don't feel obligated to read it in one long stretch. It's a work to which you should return periodically, like a reference book. I only made it through a quarter of the book before I had to return it (and felt very dim for not making it all the way through); I also wished I was actually in London while reading it.

Trebor Nevals said...

Rich,

That's a frightfully good point. it's as if humans need examples of things before they believe them. I mean I could tell you, "Rich, sailing in the 18th century was a damn scary business." but that would be nothing compared to having you read some of this Conrad stuff. Point taken.

miss imperial,

Blogroll... yeah, I need to dig up one of those. I've added you to my google reader thing which I think is just as good though less free advertising.

It's funny. I've often thought that it might be nice to subscribe to a book rental service of some sort where they'd send you a book from your list every couple weeks. Then I realize that books are cheap enough that this would be silly. Oh well. It was a thought. :) I've got a copy of London so perhaps a trade will be in order some time in the future!

RPS: Everything on my 'reading list' I already own. That's just how sad it is. Every single one of those not 'greened' out is waiting for my attention on a shelf somewhere in my house. Now, the amazon wishlist, that's just for the stuff I think will be neat to read but haven't gotten to yet. Funny, the amazon list seems to cycle more often than the list I actually have waiting for me upstairs. Oh well.

Nirmala Basnayake said...

>Everything on my 'reading list' I already own.

This sounds quite a bit like my husband (http://www.vanishingcycle.blogspot.com), who has a pile of books he's meaning to read, as soon as he finishes that William Vollmann epic, Europe Central.

(My husband was also born in the Year of the Rat -- in the 1972 Year of the Rat, in fact -- so if someone reading this is putting stock into Chinese horoscope characteristics, there might be something here to add to or fortify the list.)

As for rental services, we subscribe to a movie service ourselves, primarily because this rental company employs my best friend (http://www.thisisourmusic.blogspot.com) and we want him to keep his job. We've stuck with the company because we like that they send us random selections from our "movies to see" list, without giving us the chance to apply our "[sigh] I don't feel like watching that tonight" filter.

Trebor Nevals said...

Hrm. Well, perhaps it is something with the '72 rat people then. We shall rise up and conquer you! Well, but only after we're accumulated all human knowledge in printed form. So you have time to shower and do your hair before we arrive.

Yes, we do a DVD by mail rental service as well. It seems to work this way. The DVDs arrive that my wife requested. Then they sit for a while. Then we send them back after we've lost interest. Really, it works out best for everyone. We don't wear out their DVDs and they get our money. *shrug*

A. said...

Commenting for fear of the voodoo curse! ;)

I often do read non-fiction books but generally regret it. I think I must have spent too much time in my life being a student because I have this compulsion to take notes, commit them to memory, summarise and re-read each chapter. I do manage to overcome the compulsion :), but I'm left with the feeling it's something I *ought* to do.

With fiction though, I have no such worries, and find I can absorb them painlessly. For instance I've read two novels set on leper islands recently - the only problem occurs when you start wondering where the fact ends and the fiction starts...