Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Struggle

So here we are, formally and finally on the other side of the dreaded summer vacation period. We’ve had our trip to the states not immediately bordering our own, managed to go to the beach and not acquire a life-ending sunburn and safely returned to our previously underappreciated domicile. Ahhh the joy. Now down to the rest of our primarily fruitless and relatively meaningless lives.

It occurred to me on vacation that I needed to set some goals. Not stupid goals like ‘clean out the fridge when I get back’ but some cool goals. Any consistent reader of this open missive to the universe that we call a blog will realize that I already have plenty of goals but what I clearly don’t have is a plan to achieve any of them. Slowly and ploddingly I have inched closer to many of them but I haven’t really achieved any real success. In short, I haven’t actually finished.

The casual reader may be tempted to ascribe this to a dissipative personality but I don’t think this is the case. I’m not a superhero in my work life but I do manage to get things done. I set appropriate goals and I meet them so why doesn’t this same tendency carry over into my non-working hours? Well the answer is the obvious one. While there is time to achieve these goals and work is done towards them there isn’t the appropriate oversight and planning applied to them. Fail at work and something evil happens. Fail to mow the yard on time and it simply slips to tomorrow (or in extreme cases, next spring). So, the planning begins now.

First, the goals themselves… oh, it should be noted that these goals omit all the obvious and cliché things which take the form: “Be a better… husband, father, brother, employee, whatever.” We all try to do those things and since nobody’s currently complaining about anything there will be no specific action item. I’ll brace myself for the onslaught...

* Finally finish learning Spanish. Yes, I know, the wording of this goal is stupid. You can’t really ever ‘finish’ learning something as massive as an entire human language. People are too busy making up new bits of it for anyone to really finish but I think you get the idea. That being said, I can’t help but feel there’s been a good bit of progress since I started most recently. I have faith that things will come together with due diligence… eventually.

* Finish that Bible thing I started. Yeah, I know, Genesis 30 was on 2/15 of this year and I realize most considered this a lost cause but I really should work at least another chapter a week into the schedule somehow or at least make a good show of it.

* Write this blog thing. Again, not something you can ever ‘finish’ per se but something that needs at least a slice of my attention

* Either pay proper attention to or get rid of this stupid coin collection.

* Finish the outside landscaping and garage.

So, Spanish and the Bible I can take care of after everyone’s in bed, no problem and the same with the blog. Now, if I can only find someone who wants to trade some landscaping bricks for a coin collection….

1 comment:

Trebor Nevals said...

Hrmmm... it's not THAT funny. :)

I could just let the coins be except for one little problem... you see as each day goes by... a little bit of the value of these coins is leaking into the atmosphere. They don't, as a general rule, keep up the inflation. Plus there's the whole environmental degradation that happens and all. It's a grim outlook. After a while, they're worthless lumps of corroded metal. It's really quite unnerving.

Starting to get interested... yes, exactly. There's your suffering for ya. You start to realize the void. The thing you think is neat that you don't have. Then when you have it you realize there's still a void. There's always a void and always will be so the coins bring suffering. Woe is I... So yeah, I think you may be right onthe coins. And I do that but the problem lies in the fact that I've put some of my capital into these things and it's slowly leaking away. Silliness on my part really. Stupid ever-present suffering. :(