Sunday, April 24, 2011

Storyboard - Indianapolis Zoo - April 23, 2011

On Saturday the girls and I went off to the Indianapolis zoo.  It was a fairly nice day and therefore prime time to wander around in the quasi-outdoors that the zoo provides.  Unfortunately, there was also an Earth Day celebration further down White River park so everybody else and their brother also thought it was a prime day to take in the local attractions.  To say it was crowded would have been a vast understatement.


Aquarium photography is an art I've not come near to mastering. After a short jaunt I resolved to take an entire day and do this properly.

From 2011-04-23

I love how they just float here so effortlessly.

From 2011-04-23

The jellies are wonderful subjects, but my results are poor and unsatisfying. This may be where I camp out first when I go back with several hours to kill.

From 2011-04-23

The result here was a total failure when compared to my original intent but it's more than a bit surreal when separated from my original design.

From 2011-04-23

The baby giraffe seems to be a hit everyone. Unfortunately I was toting a macro lens and not a zoom this day so all my shots were full-body rather than the more intimate portraits I've had of these animals in the past.

From 2011-04-23

From 2011-04-23

I should have made better notes on what I was photographing in this case. Another note for the next trip out.

From 2011-04-23

Izzy looked on in typical Izzy fashion.

From 2011-04-23

And as usual Amanda's glasses match her eyes.

From 2011-04-23

And they get along swimmingly...

From 2011-04-23

From 2011-04-23

The meerkats are attentive as always.

From 2011-04-23

From an evolutionary standpoint it's baffling to me why these gets are a complimentary color compared to their environment.

From 2011-04-23

Ahhh... had forgotten about this one. Captured bolt of lightning from the storm the night before. Four second exposure.

From 2011-04-23

2 comments:

Juli said...

Wow. That lightning pic...WOW!

I love giraffes. Their tounges are so cool. I still have no idea why they are blue.

My favorite jellys are the "light up" ones that produce their own light. So beautiful.

Charlie said...

Do you have a polarizing lens for the fish tanks? Low light is also a challenge, but your fish photos look pretty good imo. Jellyfish are even more challenging because of the bright lights they use to make them look so dramatic...

Perhaps the Iguana is trying to look poisonous?