Monday, April 25, 2011

Storyboard - Indianapolis Museum of Art (grounds) - April 8, 2011

Admittedly, I'm going back in time a bit on this one but I can only reason that  I should document while I still actually remember what took place.

The first photo is utterly unexciting, I will warn you, but lends itself to an observation.  Whether this is an interesting observation is left as an exercise to the reader.  Anyway, simply, the closer you get to things the more you realize that everything has hair.  Spiders have hair.  Plants have hair.  People have hair.  Apparently tiny appendages are the "IN" thing when it comes to life forms now adays.

From 2011_04_08

I've yet to solidly determine any reason why these flowers would point downward. There's no evolutionary advantage that comes to mind. Perhaps this saves the flowers moisture and allows them to last longer?

From 2011_04_08

Daffodils have just been bred to the point of insanity. Like anything this gaudy could survive in the wild...

From 2011_04_08

A few nice Hyachinth.

From 2011_04_08

This guy was climbing down a wall. Some people... hate spiders. Me, I adore a nice complicated and hairy spider. What can I say.

From 2011_04_08

Alright, confession time. I love primitive plants. The second you say 'non-vascular' to me you instantly have my attention. So mosses and liverworts are to die for but for showiness, the ferns rule all in their semi-primitive glory.

From 2011_04_08

This little denizen of the forest didn't come out nearly as well as I would have liked. His brown-on-brown coloring was difficult to get a proper exposure on. Add to that the fact that he was a quick little bugger (I never kill for the purposes of photographing)

From 2011_04_08

This little jumping spider was very cooperative and made for, in my opinion, one of the best photos I've ever taken. The creepy part is that I can see myself in the reflection in her eyes. Clearly, she's somewhere far away thinking of me as a nice, delicious stew...

From 2011_04_08

Lastly, this wasp made an appearance, but doubtless my flashbacks to childhood when I was stung by a whole nestfull of the dratted things made my results... well, less than optimal.

From 2011_04_08

3 comments:

Juli said...

Okay.. creepy spider... but awesome pics!

And yes, everything has hair. And the older I get, the more I have, in places there should never be any.

Sorry. TMI?

:)

Charlie said...

I really like the jumping spider pictures -- those are really good! You must have an awesome macro/close-up on your camera.

The ferns are interesting too. Plants have evolved so much over the aeons... they look really alien now.

Trebor Nevals said...

I do have a pretty good macro lens. Best investment EVER I'd say. And I do have a polarizer but it sucks a couple stops of light out or more so I'm feign to use it. Probably have to.

And yes, ferns are among my favs. Brilliant things.