Saturday, August 18, 2007

Visiting Yesteryear - August

Someone asked me about my blog at the company meeting and I gave a sort of vague response on it as recently I've not been thinking about it much. The purpose of this blog has shifted dramatically over time but in every case the key point was to archive some things about what was going on that I've completely forgotten. To be really useful in that regard though you have to actually go back to those old posts and look at yourself as you were a year ago or five years ago or whatever. It makes me wish I had some written record of the rest of my life. At any rate...

A year ago I was having fun reveling in my first real wordworking project having just sold off my coin collection to buy tools. When I wasn't doing that though I was giddly being amused at my own silly interpretation of Genesis Chapter 8. For some reason, I now see that assessment of the Bible as somewhat stupid. The literal words of Genesis are, frankly, meaningless. The important part is how they've been used to form a whole body of belief for millions of people. I'm still not ready to join them in that but the odd traditions of thousands of years ago are meaningless to any argument of validity in the belief system itself. I guess as long as I was amused at the time it wasn't a total waste. *sigh*

Most importantly though, I was apparently assessing myself in a number of goals I'd set that June. I threw away the obnoxious habit of 'collecting' things with no practical purpose. Of the 5 goals I had at the time that's the only one that was really all that important and it seems to have left a positive mark on the subsequent year. I'm not attached to meaningless 'crap' any longer but I have had the nagging urge to learn a language again for no good reason. That, at least, is a bit of suffering that I think I can live with though.

No comments: