Sunday, October 23, 2011

Unpopular Opinions - Dan Wheldon

Generally speaking, my fits of writing tend to begin with writing about something that is exceptionally unpopular. This particular topic is likely to earn me more heat than most but I can’t help but feel that I don’t really care very much…

Driving back from Lafayette today I heard a protracted WIBC story about Dan Weldon. They went on at length about what a shame it was that he was killed and I don’t disagree. When people die, it sucks. From everything the news reporter had to say, he was a nice guy: involved in his community, great father, great husband, all the usual stuff. That’s wonderful. More people should aspire to such a position in life. I was right on board with them until they suggested that listeners should contribute to the trust fund for his family. Excuse me? Perhaps I didn’t hear properly?

During his racing career, Dan Wheldon has earned $14,612,570. The median annual household income in Indiana is $45,424. When I think that the local radio station is suggesting that households that make 1/300th as much as Dan Wheldon send his family money it quite frankly turns my stomach. Seriously? Was Wheldon’s death a tragedy? Yes, by all means. I hate to see anyone lose their life in pursuit of their job. But for the love of all that’s good, do not send this millionaire’s family any money. If you feel the need to help someone, why not give to the many millions of families who don’t have enough money to even fulfill their basic needs.

All too often I think that in this country we confuse grief with actual need. Wheldon’s family is hurting emotionally. They lost a loving father and husband. I feel for them. However, that doesn’t mean that they need the financial outpourings of people across the country. If you feel the need to help people who are REALLY hurting, how about donating time or money to the local homeless shelter? How about helping people who really need it? There are families all around us who can’t buy food or the basic necessities of life. Wheldon’s death is a tragedy, but there are so many better ways that your money could be spent.

5 comments:

Aims said...

I completely get this. Money will NOT bring him back. The family does NOT need the money. Want? Sure. But need? Absolutely not. Give his life some meaning, donate to a cause he would have supported. This does not include his well-healed family.

Sarah said...

Thanks for finally making another blog entry..almost a month! I totally agree and am a bit disgusted that people are asking for money on their behalf.

Trebor Nevals said...

heh. Yeah, it takes something really annoying to get me out of my box. :)

Laura said...

There are probably a lot of people who agree with you but are not brave enough to publicly put it out there like you did. I do feel for the family--what they are going through must be horrific--but as one of the people whose income is less than the State's median income, it does rankle me to hear that people are asking for money on behalf of the family. Good people die every day and leave families behind, but there's no one setting up a fund for the now-widowed wife or husband and children as they try to survive emotionally and financially. It only contributes to the growing gap between those who have more than they need and those who have barely enough.

Charlie said...

Interesting observation about being inspired to blog an unpopular opinion... But I bet as many blog posts come from that as from popular opinions...

As to what you're saying, yes, I could not agree more. Many people want to help with tragedy, some so much that they're easily convinced that money can help with grief... So I wouldn't fault the gullible -- not that I think you are -- i would fault the people who thought setting up such a trust fund was a good idea.

My own observation is that pondering the recently deceased lately, I think of Dan Wheldon *a lot* more often than Steve Jobs... I read today that Groucho Marx passed on 3 days after Elvis, and so was hidden in the media glare of the passing of the King. Not that that's relevant I guess. I just thought it was interesting. :-)