Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Roll Call

Alright, brace yourselves. For those with delicate mental conditions I urge you to click "Next Blog" now because this is going to be one HELL of a boring post. Yeah, you heard me. Just like a year ago when I told you about Mike. You know, that big thing that lives with me? This is going to be even more dull so I advise you to just move on before you fall asleep.

Since I was a wee lad I've always had this bizarre fascination with green, happy growing things. I'm not 100% sure why but I suspect that it's primarily a good healthy respect for the thought that a biological organism can take air, water, sunlight and trace soil nutrients and turn them into an entire tree. Ya gotta admit, that's pretty impressive.

Because of this good healthy respect, I've acquired quite a few of our good photosynthetic friends over the years and now seems a good time to call the current roll. It's sad that I don't have any pictures of Mike or Paul from their youth so I'm trying to avoid making the same mistake twice. Anyway, here goes.

Oh, before you ask, yes, each plant has a name and it's not merely because I'm completely insane and tend to towards anthropomorphizing things. There's a thin ribbon of logic in all cases between the plant and its given name. Sometimes it's a damn fine thread but it's there. Anyone who can guess the reason for even 10 out of the 16 plants' names wins a free lunch. Yeah, you heard me. Free lunch! but you'll have to come to Indy to collect it.

***
Yes, here we have the ever-miserable Parker. He's been around here for about 4 years. Given as a gift to my wife by one of her students as a mere tiny tendril...



Clearly the dry air of the house just doesn't agree with him.
***
Ever on the lookout for irony, the next three were salvaged from the funereal planters from my Uncle Don's funeral. That was about 3 years ago give or take.

There's Archie...


... and Felix...


... and finally Joseph.

Joseph, like Parker, is not a fan of the dry air inside.

***
At one point, my daughter was envious of Mike so she purchased and bought the next subject, Pointy.



***
Okay, more irony for the next eight. The Lowes here in Beech Grove has absolutely NO clue how to care for the houseplants they keep in stock. I'm relatively sure that NONE of them have ever been watered. If they don't sell within about 3 days they're dead as door knockers. Well, with one set of exceptions. Ironically, the plants most capable of surviving such neglect are on clearance at 75% off so I picked up these 8 at $.54 to $.75 each.

Jasper...


Rosa...


Erina...


Quinn...


Brock...


Florence...


Tiamat...


and lastly, Buddy.


***

And the last set of three miserable specimens was saved from a botanical research lab. Well, actually, my wife the science teacher was experimenting on them. Same diff really...

Ruben...


Amber...


and Stella.


***

Okay, that's finally it. This'll be so fun to look back on in a year when I realize I've chucked every one of these in the bin. Oh, and if you've actually made it this far, g'night! Rest well!

No comments: