Friday, October 27, 2006

The Boys...

Hey. Remember back... oh, two and a half years ago when I told you about Mike. Yeah, you know, Mike the Dracaena Marginata (Not, apparently Draco) plant who lives in my house. Anyway, it seems apparent that he's impossible to kill. He comes to mind as worth recording something about now since he recently came inside for the winter. At 7 feet tall and standing in our living room he comes to mind quite a bit.




So indeed, that's Mike. Now celebrating about 18 years in the family more or less. No way to be sure with my lousy recollections.


Now lest some other persons in the family get jealous it's probably wise if I also introduce Paul as well. Paul, like Mike, has been around for about 18 years and also started out in one of those tiny little 3-inch pots. Now Paul does me the grand favor of breaking his ever-growing pot about once a year.




This year when I brought him inside for the winter my wife was absolutely THRILLED to discover that a family of moles had burrowed their way into the pot and were actually LIVING in Paul's root ball. I'm pretty sure I'll never hear the end of that...

1 comment:

Trebor Nevals said...

Really!?! I wonder... does EVERYONE have one of these and I've just not noticed? How tall is he/she? Has it ever felt compelled to flower in all that time? Have you had to top it? And yes, babies and houseplants don't really go together well.

20 years be a dern long time. I'm surprised it hasn't attempted to ... do something in all that time. Odd. Sure it's not plastic? :) Not surprisingly, I go through phases... one month I'm planning a huge jungle of my own and the next I'm cursing the damn things as I have to drag their 80lb buts inside for the winter. But yeah, like your mother I'd like to have jungle. Woodworking project X+3 is a large coffee table for the upstairs big enough to house a large cactus terrarium. Man, gotta love those cactus (jungle references aside that is).