Monday, September 25, 2006

Dead or Alive

Recently I realized that it had been two solid months since I’d posted anything at all meaningful here. More correctly some would say that it’s been several years since I posted anything meaningful but let’s loosen our definition for the sake of current argument. Since that time, I’ve wandered my way through eight books and started a couple of others, had at least one annoying medical procedure and done countless other things that I’ve completely forgotten about, mostly because I’ve not written them down. It may be officially time to start this personal fad again.

I think I’ll resume the Bible and the Qur’an just for the halibut. I’ll repost those lost Qur’an entries from bygone days and just pick up with chapter 32 of Genesis. Hopefully the reading list won’t suffer unduly. Other projects include a reading-related attempt to remember some semi-random factoids such as the history of the British Monarchy and a few other key dates from history so forgive me if I randomly interject the occasional non sequitur of the form “Elizabeth I, 1558 through 1603” into every third post or so. I’m also thinking it might be good to be able to rattle off chapter and verse from a few key Bible passages. It seems a lot of effort though for little actual return though. At any rate, I’m awake again.

Oh! Since I’ve already forgotten, I’m also working on increasing my rather vacuous vocabulary. Primarily, it’s just to augment my alliterative abilities but do forgive me if I spend twenty minutes trying to find a way to fit the word denouement into the description of a Bible chapter or two… (Don’t you just love the specificity of some English words? Especially those we steal from other languages.)

3 comments:

Dan said...

Welcome back! I was wondering what happened to you. No articles or comments on articles for a while!

In fact, for weeks the HTML of your blog was totally blank (as if you saved the template to your hard disc and then removed all HTML on the web). I was hoping you'd come back.

Was that medical procedure your wisdom teeth? ;)

I'm very interested to read about the Qur’an given what's been going on recently with the reaction to the Pope quoting some criticism regarding it.

Trebor Nevals said...

Yeah, for all intents and purposes, I was dead. It wasn't bad really. Just sort of a vague and empty floaty feeling.

For a while Blogger totally ate my blog. I guess it just got tired of waiting on me. I noticed that as well but since I didn't have any new content it seemed harmless fun on Blogger's part.

You know, it's just like you to bring up teeth. But no, much lower; I'm working my way up.

The Qur'an will be interesting especially in parallel with the Bible. Since one claims to correct the other it should be neat to see how the two play out. One does have to watch what one says about ye 'ole Qur'an though.

Trebor Nevals said...

Alright, I'll admit I have a few dozen pet words that I throw around but trust me... you can't describe everything with the words vacuous, sesquipedalian and moribund for very long before people start to catch on.